Firewall vs Little Snitch

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michaelgtrusa, May 5, 2010.

1. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Hello members,

A member on here recently talked about the adobe download mgr trying to connect to the web. He mentioned that he was using little snitch, what about using the mac's built in firewall to block out going signals? Good for protecting one's data in public.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

LittleSnitch reports/blocks outgoing messages where as the firewall blocks incoming messages.

3. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

Little Snitch notifies me of ANY application that tries to talk to the outside. I feel much safer knowing there's no background app secretly talking behind my back. ;) :eek:

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I may be in the minority, but I got tired of little snitch notifying me of all the stuff that's trying to access the outside world. Yeah, I continually set the rules so that it doesn't keep nagging me on the same things over and over, but still it was more nusiance then anything. I only use a handful of mainstream apps, lightroom, photoshop, vmware, etc, so I'd categorize my risk as low.