FireWave Surround Sound for Mac Awesome Price ...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OldSkoolNJ, May 15, 2007.

1. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

So I have a 24 iMac that I have a 5.1 surround sound o but hooked up through spliiters as I was looking around for a surround sound card for the iMac. I had found the Griffin Tech Firewave but thought maybe I could wait and find other choices and or prices. It had been a while since I thought about it and then the other day started looking again. The normal retail on this is $99.99. I had seen down to $70 on e bay and amazon. The other day I went to their site and saw they are selling it for $40. I ordered it right up and paid $43 shipped. If you spend $50 or more it is free shipping. ANyway I got it in 3 days. If you have any Macs you want True Surround for this thing is great. Everything sounds better. Even the stereo stuff. They are still $40 so jump on it. http://www.griffintechnology.com

Kevin :apple:

2. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    thanks Kevin. I inquired a little bit on the Firewave over in this thread yesterday:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=303579

I thought $40 was the regular price, i didn't realize it was some sort of promotional price.

In my master bedroom, I'm looking to disconnect my mac mini from my Dell 20" 2005 LCD once in a while and hook it up to my 40" Samsung 1080p 4095 LCD whenever I have something on it worth watching (a show or movie downloaded as a 720P avi file for example). I plan to hook have a receiver in my room too with small, but powerful speakers around the bedroom. I know my wife will be opposed, but watching HD content without surround sound is just not right.

So I believe Firewave is what I need since my Mac Mini is a 1.42ghz PPC model (without the optical in/out). Am I right? The firewave would be my middle man to go into the receiver to get surround sound in my room?

If I later get a new Mac Pro to replace out the Mini (or even get a new mini), would I still need this device as the new computer would have the whole optical out?

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

THe Firewave seems to be no longer available from wholesalers, only from Griffin directly, on special. In the past, this pattern has presaged the discontinuation of a product... Can't say if this is the case here, but if you want one, don't wait.

4. OldSkoolNJ thread starter macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

This would be perfect for your situation. Also remember the Audio out on the Mac Mini is a TosLink (analog and digital combo output). SO you can run a direcdt digital line from your mini to the system.

The firewave is still on there site but back to normal price so who knows whats going on with it.

Kevin:apple: