Firewire 3200

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by acuriouslad, Jun 23, 2010.

1. acuriouslad macrumors regular

So where has it gone? Can we expect to see it any time soon? I am thinking about buying a portable hdd and have just ordered a Macbook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz and I want the fastest interface possible without fearing I"m being left behind for the next 3 years. I have read with skepticism that FW 800 maybe forward compatible through a software update, however is firewire 3200 even on the horizon?

Also if that isn't possible can anyone recommend a firewire 800 portable hdd?

Thanks

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

With LightPeak and USB 3.0, I don't see a need for FW3200, and I love FW.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No 1600?

In my opinion get a drive that does USB 3. Macs will have that within a year. It may be safe to say that Firewire is dead or dying. I shall miss it's functionality.

4. acuriouslad thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the fast replies :)

I guess I should spend the extra and get something like the lacie rugged portable hdd with USB 3 then. What do you think, is there something better out there?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you need a new drive, sure go for one with USB 3.0, but if you just want the interface without anything to actually plug it into, then don't bother; that's just a waste of money. For the latter, buy one later when you actually can use the interface.

6. slaytalera macrumors newbie

according to wikipedia(i know, i know, not the most reliable source) the first consumer FW3200 products are supposed to launch at the end of this year...i really hope that FW doesnt die, its a WAY better standard then USB can ever be