Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Hi all,
So I was cleaning out a few drawers at work, and I have come across an old FireWire 400 cable and power brick, presumably from a very early iPod. My question is, are current iPods compatible with this? I have a 6th Generation Nano that has the classic 30 pin connector, and it does NOT seem to like the cable (assuming the cable functions.) I've tried the power brick in an outlet as well as the FireWire 400 cable directly into a 400 port on my Mac Pro.

Is the 6th Generation Nano compatible with this charging device? I read somewhere that this was originally a dock cable, and that it might not work with newer models. That being said, I would hate to throw away a functional cable. Is this cable dead, or just incompatible with my device?

Thanks for your help.
-N

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is the 6th Generation Nano compatible with this charging device? I read somewhere that this was originally a dock cable, and that it might not work with newer models. That being said, I would hate to throw away a functional cable. Is this cable dead, or just incompatible with my device
Firewire compatibility was removed from iPods a long time ago. That cable and charger will definitely not work with your iPod.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The very first generation nano could charge over FireWire, but not transfer data. Every nano since can't even charge over it.

Which is why you also have to be careful of early speaker/dock systems, because they would do charging over FireWire. (And why old iPods don't like newer speaker/dock systems - because they only provide USB charging.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.