firewire 400 dead?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by donga, Jan 10, 2009.

1. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

so there's no fw400 on the mbp, and of course the macbooks earlier. i only saw one port for the iMac, and mac mini, then two for the mac pro.

is firewire 400 dead?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes. At this point, I want Apple to put two FireWire 3200 on the Nehalem Mac Pro and just be done with it after that. Let it go out with some dignity.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Seeing as its 14 years old, Id sure hope companies would finally move on.....

4. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

usb 3 in 2010...

that said, my old 10gb firewire ipod smokes my new usb2 80gb classic ipod when it comes to reloading after a format. the speed difference is really noticeable, and yes, I am loading identical libraries, about 5gb. The other crap goes on the 80 after initial sync.

5. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

Sadly, yes. Despite it's age though, it's still faster than USB2.0 on your average computer and I wouldn't be shocked if USB3.0's 'advertised' (marketing speak for 'lie'?) data rate was as much horse **** as USB2.0's.

Viva la 400! (I still use it for my external HDs) :D

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Most of the audio devices are still FW400 and they're all vastly superior to anything USB on the market. FW400 does it's job extremely well for pro audio production, much better than USB. Why try to replace something that isn't broken?

Every major manufacturer of audio devices introduced new FW audio interfaces in 2008 and most have announced new products for 2009.

The only people you'll hear talking about how FW400 is "out of date" are a few people on Mac related forums. Meanwhile, the availability of FW on PCs have never been more plentiful. :eek:

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I just wonder why they stick with such an outdated technology when theyve had plenty of time to implement 800. Are there any downsides other than a different connection?(which to me is rediculous, its different because you guys, the companies, have been living in the past, you need to update eventually!).

8. Horst Guest

Amen ...

It's weird how there is USB, which sucks bollocks; then FW 400, ancient but the most common and solid highspeed interface, and FW 800 still being rare and pricey , while eSata standards seem to change every other day.

Wireless - don't get me started... :rolleyes:

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Personally, I'm just waiting for the unified PoWE standard.

Power over Wireless Ethernet. Solves the problems of power and data transfers simultaneously. Theoretically, there's nothing stopping this from existing.

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Uh, where does the power come from? Induction?

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Of course. Power over Ethernet has been ratified already, I believe, and Wireless Ethernet exists.

They've also managed a six-foot radius for wireless power now, and it can power a laptop, so wireless power would be great for an iMac.