Firewire 400 to 800 help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by happy2gomac, Sep 14, 2010.

1. happy2gomac macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I recently purchased a JVC GY-HD110 package. It includes the DTE external drive to record on. I did some "test" videos and then tried to export to my new MBP i7 laptop. Low and behold the DTE external drive is firewire 400 and NOT firewire 800. (yes, I should have known that but I'm an old school beta guy so this HD stuff is ALL new to me and the package was too low priced to pass on) OK, so I tried to "daisy" through my Lacie portable hard drive. I connected the Lacie drive to the computer. Then connected the DTE drive to the Lacie drive via firewire 400 connector. I'm using Final Cut Pro. The computer recognizes the Lacie drive with no problem, but ZERO recognition with the JVC DTE drive. I thought I could "daisy" them together, but nothing. So should I go out and buy a firewire 400 to firewire 800 cable or adapter and connect directly from the DTE drive? Is this all I need? I have to have this asap so I'll probably have to go to an Apple store tomorrow unless I can figure out what I'm doing wrong. People say there shouldn't be any problem connecting the DTE drive through/via the Lacie external drive. Any quick suggestions on why my computer sees the Lacie portable drive and NOT the JVC DTE external drive? Thanks in advance!!

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Firewire really has nothing to do with whether or not the video is HD or SD. Firewire is merely a data transfer protocol.

Did you use the proper procedure for mounting the DTE drive according to the instructions?

-DH