firewire 400 won't mount

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bluemuse, Aug 30, 2008.

1. bluemuse macrumors newbie

Hi: was using a Maxtor 400 firewire 1394 no probs..with my macbook pro (leopard) and now I cannot get it and it's VITAL info ..to mount.

is there some mounting tool or utility I can use or did something fry..I was able to mount an 800 firewire hardrive but alas it does not have the same info.

please in addition to forum can you use my email dblue@sopris.net:)

2. munson macrumors 6502

munson

1. What sorts of other things have you plugged the drive into?
    2. Also, what have you been reading/writing data to the drive with?
    3. Any more details you have about it would be useful (drive format, etc.)

3. bluemuse thread starter macrumors newbie

firewire details

it is a maxtor 500 ..it is holding an entire HUGE music project and was looking to load a file from Pro Tools when I inadvertently dislodged the firewire cable from the maxtor itself and the resulting message was that the Pro Tools session could not continue...so I rebooted the whole system, plugged two different cables as securely as possible and the drive WILL NOT mount again.

4. munson macrumors 6502

munson

Right, so your drive is most likely corrupted. Your data SHOULD be recoverable, but I'm not too sure how to do it. If you're in college, go make friends with some computer science majors, and see if one of them could fix the problem - I had a similar experience once before.

If you're not in college, making friends with college kids might not be the best idea, but I'm sure you could find a friend of a friend that could help you out.

Good luck!

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

First do you have any other FW400 devices you can plug into the port that you cannot mount the drive to (camcorder, etc.)? Always starting at the basics is best- and the first thing to check is whether the port is working right in the first place. If not, first try removing the battery and leaving it out of the MacBook Pro for a few minutes which does reset some things. Put the battery back in and for good measure reset the PRAM when you then boot it up ( http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379 ).

Failing that, do you by chance have a FW800-->FW400 cable? Using that you could check the operation of the particular drive when attached to the known working FW800 port.

While you said it doesn't actually mount, does the drive show up at all in the left hand panel of Disk Utilities (or for that matter in the System Profiler under the FireWire section?) If it shows up in Disk Utility, is the "Mount" button at the top available or greyed out?

If all else fails and you have an Apple retail store within a reasonable difference, go online and make an appointment at the Genius Bar and let them give you some hands on help. Assuming they don't find a hardware problem like a blown FW400 port it will be free (and even then the repair would be free if the MBP is still under warranty or has AppleCare coverage).

6. windowpain macrumors 6502a

Try opening a terminal window.type;

cd /Volumes
    ls

this will list all the volumes it can detect. and you can mount it from there.

If it doesn't mount try mount me
    it can sometimes help.

If there is a problem with the drive you can try the app Diskwarrior to fix the problem.

If you can get it to mount, disk utility might be able to fix the problem.

I've had the same kind of problem few times. The only thing you can do is try rebooting a few times, see if it mounts. or try unplugging it and turning it back on a few times. if that doesn't work try just leaving it plugged in for a few hours..sometimes they just mount themselves..

Other than that you could try a different enclosure, all the firewire 400 enclosures I've used seem to be a bit temperamental...

good luck!