Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SecondDealer

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
Seem's almost too good to be true, I'd be careful, maybe check with the BBB before purchasing anything.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
That's a very good price. Do you know if they use a 5400RPM or 7200RPM drive? Regardless, still a very good price.

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
fantom drives are typically cheaper than better named brands like WD, but from my experience, it's probably nowhere near as reliable. From what i've heard, Fantom uses second rate no brand hard drives, and my own Fantom drive that i bought a couple of years ago came close to failing a couple of times (corrupted data a few times) and the enclosure actually had to be replaced. If I were you, i would buy a better named brand 3.5inch HD and get a separate enclosure. you can get 1tb internals for roughly $100 and enclosures can go anywhere from $20 to $50 depending on what you are looking for.

ilikenascar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
I think the $40 difference is because the one you pulled up didn't have firewire 800, whereas the one I was looking at did.

I don't doubt PCmall is a good company to do business with, I was more curious what Fantom drives were like. TigerDirect offers them too.

Sounds like I should spend the extra cash and sacrifice some space for peace of mind and reliability.

Thanks.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Keep in mind that most of these external drives use either Segate or Western Digital Hard drives, it's just the enclosures and features that vary.

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
fantom drives are typically cheaper than better named brands like WD, but from my experience, it's probably nowhere near as reliable. From what i've heard, Fantom uses second rate no brand hard drives, and my own Fantom drive that i bought a couple of years ago came close to failing a couple of times (corrupted data a few times) and the enclosure actually had to be replaced. If I were you, i would buy a better named brand 3.5inch HD and get a separate enclosure. you can get 1tb internals for roughly $100 and enclosures can go anywhere from $20 to $50 depending on what you are looking for.

That's weird, because from what I've heard they use brand name drives, and mine has been rock solid for me.

They have consistently good reviews and are a good brand.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
FWIW- I have two Fantom drives that have been running for close to 3 years without any issues. After checking one time I saw that these two had Western Digital drives but that doesn't mean all do of course.

I would have no issues with that if I needed some, as with a quad interface that is a heck of a deal. 1Tb externals in that price range often have only a USB 2.0, so they don't offer near the flexibility or performance that the Fantom does.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
That's the annoying part about buying assembled external hard drives, they rarely list their exact components. All WD external hard drives using single drives are now 5400RPM and only their dual drives use 7200RPM. Makes a difference if you're using it over FW800 for video processing or other intensive tasks.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
I just bought the Fantom Drives GreenDrive Quad 1TB FireWire 400/800, eSATA, USB 2.0 Hard Drive w/ NTI Shadow Backup (GD1000Q) for $99 After rebates from MacMall.com. I'm not sure what else is out there. I'm interested in what the post right above said about external hard drives only running 7200 on dual drives. I don't think I'll be doing intense tasks with this particular external hard drive, I have one other one - Western Digital.. something.. it's 500gb and I bought it Summer 2007 from Buy.com. That one has Firewire 800. I'll check to see what speed that hard drive is when I Get home (5400 or 7200). That's the one I would be doing video editing and stuff with.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Ive heard to avoid G-Tech drives... especially the 1TB version. Repeated failures comes to mind, but i'd have to dig up the exact complaints.

You can't go wrong with OWC though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.