Firewire 800 2.5" External Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Scuby, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Scuby macrumors regular

Has anyone seen anything indicating that there are any new (higher capacity) drives on the horizon in with a 2.5" external FW800 format?

I'm slightly confused why many of the big brands have stopped at 500GB or 640GB drives in their FW800 models. The G-Drive Mini only goes to 500GB, while the WD Passport Studio stops at 640GB. WD do have 2.5" drives at 1TB, and have dine for months, but they're only available in USB2 models.

Any ideas why they all seem to stop short of their highest capacity drives for the faster interfaces? The only ones i can find with 1TB 2.5" drives are the Seagate GoFlex (which i'm not sure about with the swappable interfaces, i've nearly bought one a couple of times but then changed my mind at the last minute), or a couple of companies i've never heard of before who have drives way above the expected price.

Ideally someone will have seen news from WD or G-Tech or someone indicating that new products are on the way. Otherwise, i may end up having to get the GoFlex.

Cheers,

David

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. mangrove macrumors 6502

Keep in mind that FW800 enclosures can take nearly any 2.5" drive. I think OWC mentions a 750GB drive that will fit into their ALU Pro enclosures.