Firewire 800 compatibility with Canopus ADVC55?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bilbo--baggins, Dec 5, 2008.

1. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

Has anyone tried the Canopus ADVC55 with the late 2008 MacBook Pro (15.4")? Whilst this SHOULD work via an 800-400 cable, I've read that there are some issues due to a new chipset that Apple is using.

2. bilbo--baggins thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll try this shortly once I receive my 800-400 cables.

3. gregfranklin macrumors newbie

I'm having a similar problem...

Here's my setup ---

Composite video cable out (yellow, white, red) from my HDTV to the ADVC-55... then a FireWire 400 to 800 cable (quality cable, from Monoprice.com) into my MacBook Pro (unibody, which only has FW800).

The converter shows the Red "no signal" light and of course, I'm not able to record any video through iMovie or QuickTime Player.

My theories...

1. Do I need to get an AC Adapter for the converter? It seems like the FW800 port would power it, but I could be wrong.

2. Is the High-Def origin signal a problem? I doubt it, as I've tried both my cable box and output from my TV and I assume it down-converts.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

4. djc0925 macrumors newbie

Same problem

I am having the same problem. The red light stays on when I am trying to convert VHS video from my VCR through the ADVC55 with firewire cable, but I get a green light when I convert from my Canon video camera.

Any suggestions?