Firewire 800 External Hard Drive recomendations for recording

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by ReverendCharm, Mar 31, 2011.

1. ReverendCharm macrumors newbie

Ok so I posted a week or so ago about a bad experience I had with a firewire 800 external drive. Anyway, Im sending it back and getting a refund but I wanted to confer with you guys about a good, but cheaper (under $100 please) firewire 800 drive thats good for recording to. This will be my recording HD. Can anyone recommend some for me? and shooting a link to a place that sells it would be appreciated! ..and the more recommendations the better

2. Loops macrumors member

You can buy an enclosure and put whatever hard drive you want in it. A good enclosure should be able to keep the hard disk cool.

I can't suggest specific enclosures, but I do know that the Western Digital Caviar Black is a hard disk with a good reputation.

3. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Go to macsales.com. Check out their external drives.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I also recommend OWC. I have 4 extgernal for my three Macs and one is 5 years old and still going strong. Plus the company includes cables for every port that is on the external.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

I use these too. I had one fail but it was replaced.

Then buy a Seagate drive. These have a 5 year warranty. For a disk drive 5 years is as good as "lifetime" Other brands are only 3 year. Check before you buy as there are odd exceptions,

You will need to buy four. One for data, one for a time machine backup and on for a rotating "ping pong" remote backup. What I do is buy a new drive about every year and retire the oldest drive. I always buy the largest size available so that after 4 or so years it is a usable size. You really have to get into a rotation and retirement plan in order to keep the data and the backup copies reliable

7. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

We use Glyph drives at the (university) recording studio where I work, and they've been fantastic. They're the hot-swappable models (these drives), but I've heard good things about all of their products. You'll find lots of specific models if you poke around Sweetwater's site.