Firewire 800 Memory Stick

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Outcast-au, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Outcast-au macrumors member

All,

I've searched and have not found one so I thought i'd as the people who know...thats you :)

Is there such a product as a Firewire 800 Memory stick? I don't want a card reader... I want a genuine memory stick, 8+ GB.

Thanks in advance.

2. cube macrumors G4

What would be the point if flash chips are so slow that the fastest USB stick reads at 34MB/s and writes at 28MB/s?

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think most of them will be small flash USB cards.

If you want FW, it'll have to be something like an older FW MP3 player.

4. cube macrumors G4

The fastest would be about 43 MB/s read, 38 MB/s write with some UDMA Compact Flash card + FW800 UDMA Compact Flash card reader

5. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

as far as i am aware there is only 1 firewire (400) stick at all, never seen an 800 one, maybe a portable hard drive would do?

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I think it'd be easier to get speed in pill format

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I have not seen a FW800 memory stick.

Kanguru makes FW400 memory sticks up to 8GB capacities.

They advertise the following speeds:
    Read Speed --> 25Mb/Sec
    Write Speed --> 10Mb/Sec

These specs (speeds) seem a bit slow to me.

Another alternative is an external 1.8 or 2.5 inch FW HD drive. Two companies that I've used with good results are:

8. tremulant14 macrumors newbie

I heard through the grapevine that Firewire is going to become obsolete.. because USB 2.0 is adopted so well in everyday electronics.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It seems a little overkill for the time being. This is because most USB Flash drives are somewhere between 2-8 GBs. Unless you are moving all some 7.7 GBs at one time it wouldn't give you that much speed. However with the advent of the much bigger flash drives this could change. But, this seems unlikely because the whole value to the USB stick is everyone has USB, for the past couple of years most Macs and some PCs had it. Now with it not on two out of three of Apple's notebooks it seems odd that this would catch on.

10. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

If by through the grape vine you mean the fact that none of the new macbooks have them... :mad:

11. tremulant14 macrumors newbie

Haha, yes I was actually implying the death of firewire based on the new apple products. However, I've seen numerous camcorders/cameras that have come out recently, that only support a usb connection and or flash drive.

But I do predict the death of firewire within the next 2 years.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats nonsense. FW 1600 and 3200 are on the way to compete with usb 3.

Also, FW is HUGE outside of the personal computer business as it is used exclusively in applications such as jet aircraft, many cars use FW as their interface with their computers, etc.

If you were talking computers (in the personal computer definition) however, only time will tell.

Edit: alternatice FW useage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire#Alternative_uses_for_IEEE_1394

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Don't believe everything you hear, especially from people who don't have a clue what they're talking about! While USB may not be dead for a long time, the future versions of Firewire will make USB 2.0 look as useful as a 5 1/4" floppy drive or a card punch, and will still outperform USB 3.0. I suggest you do some research of your own, rather than listening to the ill-informed, like this:
    Oh, that was .... um... you! LOL :rolleyes:

14. Outcast-au thread starter macrumors member

Well - I'm not able to stream 720p content off a USB2 flash .... so I figured Fw800 should be able to sort it out.

Time will tell if it is dead ...

Any other recomendations?