Firewire 800 problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Reid2009, May 14, 2009.

1. Reid2009 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a problem with my firewire port on my MBP (the last model with the latest OS). I plug in my SanDisk Extreme Firewire Reader with my Extreme III 4.gb card and nothing happens. My computer does not even read that I plugged anything in. It worked perfectly fine last week.
    My Western Digital Mybook in (which is also firewire 800) works perfectly. Then when I unplug it, plug in sandisk reader, it does not work. When I go to replug in my hard drive, it no longer reads that as well. I would like to think its the sandisk reader, but why would my hard drive not read either. If it was my computer, then why does my hard drive work before I try my sandisk?
    Does anyone have any ideas as how to fix this? or who to contact to fix this?
    Thanks,
    Reid

2. Reid2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

No ideas any on? Can I reset my firewire port (is that even possible?)

3. Reid2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: my sandisk has three little notches in the side where I can move a little lever. When it is on number 1 (4gb for fat 32 SLR's) it does not work (which is what I normally use it on and it has worked in the past, and which has the information stored on it currently). Number 2 (2gb, for fat 16 slr's (right side) works, is readable by my computer, but there is nothing there when I open the disk. Number 3 (2 gb for fat 16 slrs (left side) does not work at all, a menu pops up saying it is not readable.
    An ideas?
    Thanks.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Not familiar with the toggles on the card reader itself, but usually when a Mac has trouble identifying/mounting devices through the communication ports, a PRAM reset is in order...