Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archdelux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
does anyone know where I can find an adapter to connect USB device to the firewire port on my mid-2010 MBP (says it's 'firewire 800')..for some reason, I'm having a hard time finding this..

Nov 28, 2010
located
Because there are no such adapters, that actually work. Why do you need such adapter?

2012_01_02_pA1_Firewire_Ports.png

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
does anyone know where I can find an adapter to connect USB device to the firewire port on my mid-2010 MBP (says it's 'firewire 800')..for some reason, I'm having a hard time finding this..

Never heard of such a thing, have you Googled it?

Why are you needing to do this? You do know your laptop has a Firewire 800 port?

Better off daisy chaining your FW devices if you have more than one.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Never heard of such a thing, have you Googled it?

Why are you needing to do this? You do know your laptop has a Firewire 800 port?

Better off daisy chaining your FW devices if you have more than one.

I do believe the OP wants to do the opposite of what you're saying (ie, connect a USB device to the laptop's FireWire port). OP, just use the computer's USB port or use a hub if you need to connect more devices than you have ports for.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I do believe the OP wants to do the opposite of what you're saying (ie, connect a USB device to the laptop's FireWire port). OP, just use the computer's USB port or use a hub if you need to connect more devices than you have ports for.

Doesn't matter. Either way there's no such adapters available. If he's short on USB ports get a USB hub.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Or is the OP talking about the newly announced but as yet unavailable Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter?

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Doesn't matter. Either way there's no such adapters available. If he's short on USB ports get a USB hub.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049DJ0JG...e=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B0049DJ0JG

They exist. Though they don't work well according to reviews. Nor do they work in the way the OP wants (I believe this particular one allows FireWire devices to connect through the USB port).

Also:
... OP, just use the computer's USB port or use a hub if you need to connect more devices than you have ports for.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado

tonyc46

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
I understand what the OP is saying. I have a Mac Mini and I have 2 usb hubs along with two other usb input devices (I have a lot of external hard drives). That takes care of my 4 usb inputs. I have a firewire 800 port not doing anything. Why not have a usb hub with a firewire 800 cable that could utilize that otherwise useless port?

I'm not saying that they are available; just that it would be a good thing to have if it's feasible.

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Your solution is to get an enclosure that supports FW800 [OWC has many that are pretty cheap]. You will get MUCH better performance from FW800 that you will from USB2.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I understand what the OP is saying. I have a Mac Mini and I have 2 usb hubs along with two other usb input devices (I have a lot of external hard drives). That takes care of my 4 usb inputs. I have a firewire 800 port not doing anything. Why not have a usb hub with a firewire 800 cable that could utilize that otherwise useless port?

I'm not saying that they are available; just that it would be a good thing to have if it's feasible.

Those hubs do not exist, as Firewire and USB are not compatible.
And while FW 800 might not be useful to you due to its faster speed and ability to daisy chain up to 63 devices to one port on the computer, for others it is still valid port.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Good luck finding much support for FW anymore. As you can see in newer Macs, Apple is dropping it for USB3 and TB. So 3rd party companies will be spending less and less time/effort on FW.

pendreich

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2016
Good luck finding much support for FW anymore. As you can see in newer Macs, Apple is dropping it for USB3 and TB. So 3rd party companies will be spending less and less time/effort on FW.
[doublepost=1455044707][/doublepost]why have a FW port we can't actually use?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Because they are simply relics of the past, like batting from spinning disks instead of SSDs.

Technically you can use if you continue to find FW ports and devices. But why would any company target the old FW market space when they can now do the the much larger USB-3 market space? And if vendor is paying attention, they are prepare for USB-C ports with USB-.3.1 and TB3 protocols.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.