Firewire and NTFS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deejayscream, Nov 12, 2010.

1. deejayscream macrumors newbie

Hi guys!This is my first question here,I guess:) I want to buy a new external drive for my MBP and I'm considering a firewire 800 one.Qestion is,how does it work with a NTFS file system?What about file transfer?Is it a bit slower because of NTFS? I'm fed up with an USB external hard disk,so hopefully FW will do the work better.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As you will be limited to NTFS drivers like Tuxera (free and commercial) or Paragon, you will not get the full FW800 speed with NTFS formatted volumes while in Mac OS X. That's at least my experience, as I tested Paragon (never more than 15MB/s) and the free NTFS-3G (Tuxera) drivers (10 to 20 MB/s).

If you need NTFS for transfer or media playback purposes, you can always use mixed partitions using the MBP partition table and HFS+ as format for the second partition.

Under Windows I never got to test FW800 and NTFS, but FW400 almost always gave me full speeds.

3. deejayscream thread starter macrumors newbie

OK,thanks for a quick response! So,what would You suggest? How to split 500 GB ext.hard disk? 2x250 one HFS+ and one NTFS ?Or,use let's say 100 gb HFS+ only for time machine backups and rest NTFS,so I could use it on both Mac and Win platforms?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know, that depends on how much data you want to share between both platforms. I seldom share data with Windows (once a months, maybe), thus I have no need for NTFS anymore, and if it arises, a quick format has to do or a network connection.

There is also MacDrive, to read and write to HFS+ formatted volumes in Windows, and as far as I have experienced, it is much better than the NTFS drivers for Mac OS X.