Firewire cable?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daviddsims, Dec 5, 2009.

1. daviddsims macrumors newbie

Guys I am about to go to Best Buy and get a new 13 macbook pro. I currently have a early 2008 Macbook I am going to give to my wife. I am going to transfer all the files over to my new MBP and want to get the right firewire cable. Does anyone know how many pins my 2008 macbook has and what the new MBP will have? Thanks.

2. Husker macrumors newbie

3. daviddsims thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response. I will get one when I buy the new MBP and use migration assistant

4. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

cables at places like Best Buy, "The Shack", and the like are incredibly overpriced. They can be found for far less at places like monoprice for a fraction of the price. Of course that requires having it mailed.

You should also be able to do migration assistant via ethernet--either by connecting the two computers directly or through a common router.

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I just ordered one of those, which had been out of stock until recently, for my mom's new iMac to hookup an old external HDD.

I'd do this since gigabit ethernet I believe would be a bit faster and chances are you have a CAT5/5e/6 laying around already.

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

and another vote for Migration via ethernet.

99 cent ethernet cable vs $39 FW cable at Worst Buy.

Unless of course you can order from monoprice and wait... pick up some extra USB cables while you are there, can never have enough of those...

EDIT: did you buy it already? what state are you in? lots of ways to get it cheaper than WB.