Firewire cables *Silly Question Alert*

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nimraynn, Nov 28, 2013.

1. nimraynn macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I know nothing about Firewire, but I've been told that I can use a Firewire400 cable to connect an iMac G4 to a PowerMac G5 so that I can boot the iMac in target disk mode. Basically I need to reinstall the OS, but the DVD drive in the iMac won't read any disc.

Looking at work, I can only find one cable and it's a Firewire800 cable. Knowing nothing of the differences, can I use this Firewire800 cable to connect two Firewire400 devices together?

I can find stuff that says you can't use a 400 cable in an 800 port... but also finding stuff that says 800 can work with 400 devices... I can't find anything to say if you can or can't use an 800 cable on a 400 port.

This is probably a silly question, but I know nothing about Firewire :confused:

Cheers,
    Mike

2. nimraynn thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, answered my own question! Remembered we had a PowerMac G5 in the store room so went and tried it, and it definitely doesn't fit. :(

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Yeah, the electrical signaling will adapt/negotiate, but there is a physical difference on the port. You can buy cables with FW 800 one end and FW 800 on the other relatively cheap.They are common place.