Firewire Charger to USB Charger Dock Adapter

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aross99, Jul 28, 2008.

1. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I wondered how long it would be before we saw one of these:

http://home.swipnet.se/ridax/connipod.htm

It allows you to use your existing Firewire charging devices (like speaker docks, car stereo cables, etc), with your iPhone 3G. Not sure it would be the answer for speaker docks, but it would sure be a good option for Car Stereo head units that only supply Firewire power.

Seems a bit pricy, but hopefully Griffin, Belkin, etc will come out with similar devices in the near future - at half the price point.

I just replaced a perfectly good Car charger with a new one to support USB, and I have at least two Firewire chargers around the house that I have been replacing with the USB versions.

It's a chore to determine if a charging device supplies Firewire or USB power. I ended up e-mailing Griffin to verify which of their models support USB charging. it turns out almost all of the basic ones do (ie the PowerJolt), except for the ones with the iTrips built in, etc.

2. specops macrumors regular

as soon as this is available and a little cheaper im getting it for my cars ipod connector!

3. vtmikevt macrumors regular

anyone get the ridax charge converter yet? I just ordered mine.

4. slicecom macrumors 68020

Please post up reviews! I'll buy one for my car in an instant as long as it doesn't get too hot as I'd leave it plugged in at all times.

5. iphonecode macrumors member

6. orrelse44 macrumors regular

It is nice to finally see this out---but yikes, I'm gonna wait until someone makes one a bit less expensive.

Damn I wanna use my Altec M600 as a charger again though. :(