firewire compatibility for target mode

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MagB, Sep 8, 2014.

1. MagB macrumors newbie

Hi there guys,

Im having a little trouble finding out how firewire cable compatibility works.

Basically Im trying to read the hard drive of my brother's old powerbookg4 in target mode using one of my other macs.

I have a white imac (fw400) and a mac pro (fw800) and only one ieeee-1394 6 to 6 pin cable.

I think im booting the right way.
    Connected and both off>boot target into target mode>then boot host.
    It should read the drive right?

Ive tried ignoring the powerbook in order to test the cable between the two desktops but cannot get it to work.

Is the cable correct for this operation?

Any help here would be appreciated, thanks in advance

2. MagB thread starter macrumors newbie

ok ive read up some more and it seems that the two ("newer") desktops cant be booted as targets. Only the powerbook can.

Is there any other way of checking the cable is working before assuming other faults?

The powerbook also doesnt boot which is why im trying to read it through target mode.

If I can read it then I can grab data if needed and then reformat knowing there is at least some functionality left in the internal drive.

If anyone has some work-arounds for this id love to hear them.

3. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

If you're using the 6 to 6 pin cable, then you're connecting the FW400 of the PBG4 to the FW400 port of the mac pro.

Now, if the PBG4 is going into target mode, the screen should show a firewire icon in the middle of the screen.

The drive could just be dead.

4. MagB thread starter macrumors newbie

ok.

im answering my own stoopid questions again.

The cable seems to work as although the drive didnt appear in devices, it did appear in disk utility - where it shows it as caput, needs repair,,not smart status supported and cannot be repaired by disk utility.

Ill get my hands on the original instal disks and if that doesnt work, perhaps disk warrior

----------

thanks matreya,

yeah it does seem that way. At least i know the firewire cable actually works now! ; )