Firewire/compatibility problems with Mac Pro and Sony

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ringoya, Mar 23, 2008.

1. ringoya macrumors newbie

I recently bought a mac pro (2-quad-core 2.8Ghz) and have 2 pro cameras PD170 and HVRZ1J (Sony models). I want to capture my video but I can't get OSX to register the cameras. It is as thought I didn't plug them in...nothing.
    I checked the firewire...my external hard drive works with the port and wire.
    I tried the cameras on my SONY laptop...and they worked fine on Windows.

I thought that perhaps it was the driver, but I can't find a driver for Sony anywhere for these cameras at sony or apple.com
    Then I thought it was the firewire 400/800 compatibility. But I don't think that is such an issue, or at least couldn't find much information anywhere to say. I wonder what I can do -- I am totally lost and in a bind since this show is supposed to be on TV in 2 weeks. I wonder if my timing to make the change to Mac was not so good...HELP!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you so much for reading my long thread.

2. ringoya thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple Store's response

The Apple store told me that the Mac Pro's system was bad and that I should use Apple are and order a new one. I guess if there isn't a fix, I'll have to do just that.
    On top of the firewire dilema, I also have trouble with Final Cut Pro 6 loading up. It doesn't initiate, but that's another thread, I guess.