Firewire compatible with Western Digital Passport

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gballa, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Gballa macrumors member

I want to speed up the use of my external hard drive... is there a firewire that would work with this mini usb slot on the hardrive? i have also heard of high speed usb cords, could u help me with finding a high speed cord that is high quality. Thanks.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

No and No.

The USB cable supplied will transfer at 480Mbps, so long as you have it plugged into the USB 2.0 port on the computer.

Firewire and USB are not compatible with each other.

Firewire, while only 400Mbps it sustains that speed for a longer period of time than USB. Also Firewire bypasses the CPU (which USB uses to process the data trasmissions) and directly connects to the RAM then downloads it to the HD.

If you want Firewire, buy a Firewire external HD or enclosure.

TEG

3. Gballa thread starter macrumors member

I am not using the usb cord that came with it because i lost it. Isn't there a high speed usb cord?

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Go out and get a USB2 A-B cable for $7-15 at whichever store locally has them on sale. (should be flat end on one side and box end on the other)

Wal-Mart, Staples, Worst Buy, Radio Shack, etc. -- search online to see what they are charging.

Look at the plugs on both ends, since there are quite a few different cable ends with mini-USB and charging ports also floating around.

5. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

No guarantees, but I believe this is the cable you're looking for. It's about $10 shipped from newegg, but you can use that model # to shop around.