Firewire Confusion

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ChitownE, Apr 21, 2005.

  1. ChitownE macrumors newbie

    Jan 31, 2005

    I'm attempting to transfer some video from a Sony MiniDV video camera to a friend's iMac. I went to Best Buy to purchase a Firewire to Firewire cable, which I assumed would do the trick. But, I'm a little perplexed by the different Firewire port shapes. The cable I bought has something like this on both ends:

    That is the same size that can be found on my camera. The iMac, however, has this:

    Both ports claim to be Firewire. This is probably a silly question - but can someone help me sort this out? What type of cable do I need to shop for to transfer between the two devices?


    ~ Eric
  2. Bear macrumors G3

    Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    The iMac has a 6 pin connector and the camera has a 4-pin one -you should only need a 4-pin to 6-pin cable.
  3. 840quadra Moderator


    Staff Member

    Feb 1, 2005
    Twin Cities Minnesota
    Otherwise if you have a cable, places like Radio Shack sell end point adapters for that also.

    At one point the Apple Store sold such items. To many in the PC world Firewire is known as 1394 as the license for the name Firewire belongs to Apple.

Share This Page