Firewire daisy-chain capture. Anyone actually have it working?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by J the Ninja, Jul 15, 2009.

1. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Ideally, I'd like to use a setup that looks like this for capture/scratch:

Mac > FW 800 HDD > Camera

with each arrow being a Firewire cable. Getting this to work is easy....until you try to capture to the FW drive. From what I have been able to gather, Firewire in theory has enough bandwidth for this, although the drive will drop off 800mbps speeds while the camera is connected (not that big of a deal). However, not all FW chipsets can deal with being the repeater in this setup, so with some drive enclosures, actually capturing to the HDD itself won't work, you have to capture elsewhere. I'm curious if anyone has found an enclosure where this setup can work as advertised w/Final Cut.

short version: Do you have your DV camera daisy-chained to a FW 800 drive, yet are still able to capture to that drive with Final Cut? If so, what drive enclosure do you have?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It works for me with two Macs and two consumer cameras (just for capturing the footage).

I have a MacBook and a MacBook Pro, both are connected to a Firewire 400 hub, from which one connection goes to a Western Digital MyBook Studio Edition 1TB and another cable to the camera.
    I capture with Avid Media Composer 3.1.1 and Mac OS 10.5.7.

In another configuration I had it working like
    MacBook Pro -> FW 800 cable to WD MyBook Studio Edition 1TB HDD -> FW 4-pin to 9-pin cable to camera (PD 170).
    Media Composer was the capturing software.

Hope that helps.

PS:
    I once had a configuration like this with Final Cut Pro:
    iMac > FW800 port > LaCie drive
    iMac > FW400 port > Sony FX 1
    It's not exactly daisy chaining, but it worked.