Firewire drive not unmounting (and USB drive mount issues)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DukeofAnkh, Jan 16, 2008.

1. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

Hello all, I'm hoping you can help me. I have a 2 year old external drive which until recently I connected via USB. It's enclosure, however, also has a firewire port which I remembered about the other day and decided to use (never used it before since my PC didn't have firewire). It works fine and is much faster, of course.

BUT it won't unmount. When I click eject or drag it to the trash it comes up with the "couldn't be ejected because it's in use dialogue" but I closed all the programs that might even look in it's direction and that doesn't help. Looking in Activity Monitor, I found this: [​IMG]

After a bit more investigation, I found that that process, MassStorage, runs when I turn the drive on, uses about that much CPU, then stops responding. If I force quit it, the drive ejects fine.

Is there anything I can do about this? Crashed or not, something that appears to run when a firewire drive is plugged in probably shouldn't use that much CPU, should it? Also, since the drive keeps working fine with that process quit, what is it actually doing? If it's relevant, the drive is formatted to FAT32.

My other issue is with my USB drive. If I leave my computer on overnight, sometimes I unmount the drive and turn it off, mostly to save power since it's not loud or anything, even when spun up. However, when I turn it back on later it won't remount unless I change the USB port it's plugged into. Now that's just annoying since it's plugged into a hub attached to my screen and the only way to change ports is to switch it with my other hub. That or restart my computer. Also it's my Time Machine drive so I kind of want it to mount if I just turn it on and wander away. Does this happen to other people? If not, what's going on? Is there any fix?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

2. DukeofAnkh thread starter macrumors regular

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I'm not coming up with any ideas about the Firewire drive, and all I could find was the MassStorage Programming Guide at the ADC website.

If you unmount the USB's, then they have to be mounted again before they're recognized. It's a Unix thing, and the OS doesn't have the mount command built into the GUI, but the process is automatic when a drive is plugged in/turned on.

You could remount from Terminal, but I'm getting my HP-UX and BSD commands crossed right now, so I won't give you a bad instruction here. I would suggest just not worrying about unmounting the drive -- it really doesn't use that much power.

4. DukeofAnkh thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help. My problem is more that it's not being automatically mounted when I turn the USB drive on. :(