Firewire drives will not mount. Dead FW port?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjp14, Sep 28, 2010.

1. jjp14 macrumors member

After using my firewire drives problem free for about 3 or 4 weeks, I've suddenly run into the problem of them not mounting. I've ran a hardware test, zapped pram, restarted with and without the drives plugged in. No dice. I decided to check the system profiler and it said "No firewire ports were found."

Did my firewire port die somehow? I didn't find a problem during the hardware test (although, I didn't run the extensive 1 hour+ scan). I'm still under warranty, so I'll probably take it to the nearest Apple store this weekend. Has anyone else had this problem, and can they offer any solutions?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

it could be that they are dead, does the firewire drive work on another computer? But you said it's still under warranty so taking it to apple is probably the best option.

3. jjp14 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately, I don't have access to another computer with FW ports. However, the drives work fine through USB, so the drives themselves aren't dead.

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

open disk utility
    if its listed but faded out its just not mounted - issue is software related
    if its not listed - its a hardware issue, the drive or the port.

5. jjp14 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it's not even being listed in disk utility. :( Oh well, I guess i'll take it to the Apple Store this weekend.