Firewire Hard-drive --> USB MacbookPro. Possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pauld, Dec 31, 2010.

1. pauld macrumors regular

Hi all, if this information already exists on the forum I haven't been able to locate it.

I have an old Lacie Firewire external drive that (please God) hopefully has the majority of my life's work, pics etc on it.
    Last month my mid-2009 MBP's drive clicked itself to death so I got a replacement (and belatedly bought Time Capsule).

I'd love to know how to get my data from the Firewire drive to the Macbook using the cheapest means possible.
    I don't have access to my time capsule at the moment, but I can access a new Macbook Air and a PC laptop that has both Firewire and USB ports.
    I know that Target Disc Mode is out of the question these days, but perhaps someone knows of some simple jiggery-pokery that I can perform to transfer it across?

Thanks in advance guys!

Paul

2. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Do you know if the hard drive is Firewire 400 or 800? This can make a huge difference.

3. pauld thread starter macrumors regular

It's an old Lacie Porche drive and it doesn't say bit since it's maybe 6 or so years old I'd guess 400.

Thanks a lot.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I'd love to know how to get my data from the Firewire drive to the Macbook using the cheapest means possible.
    I don't have access to my time capsule at the moment, but I can access a new Macbook Air and a PC laptop that has both Firewire and USB ports.
    I know that Target Disc Mode is out of the question these days, but perhaps someone knows of some simple jiggery-pokery that I can perform to transfer it across?"

If the data on the drive in question is important to you, I would strongly advise AGAINST connecting to a PC, even one with a firewire connection.

In my opinion, your best bet is to open up the LaCie enclosure and take the drive out.

Then, ascertain whether the bare drive is a SATA drive or if it uses the older "ATA/IDE" connection scheme.

If it's a SATA drive, you can use a USB/SATA "docking station" and hopefully get it running with a Macbook with a USB port:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+sata+dock&x=0&y=0
    (many items shown here, pick the one you like)

If it's an older ATA/IDE type drive interface, you can get one of these:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119152&Tpk=Rosewill rcw 608

The Rosewill "dongle" will also work with SATA drives. BUT -- if you know in advance that the drive you have _is_ SATA, the "docking station" is a much better way to go.

Question:
    If you had a firewire drive with "the majority of your life's work" on it, WHY did you get a new Mac that didn't have firewire?

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Wait, your mid 09 MBP doesn't have a Firewire port?!?!:confused::confused::confused:

They make a 400-800 adapter but I don't know much about it

6. barmann macrumors 6502

Your replacement isn't an MBP, but a MacBook ?

I have one of those old Porsche harddrives, afaik most or all of them have an IDE HDD inside , and they are FW 400.

The cheapest and fastest solution would be to find a Mac with FW400, or you can get a cheap FW400 to 800 adapter/ cable to use with any Mac with FW800 .

Afaik, there is no FW to USB adapter, but the solutions linked to above for bare drives .

You can open the Porsche HDD with a knive, but will probably leave marks, or an old credit card or such.

Also, transfer the files manually or clone the drive, don't use Time Capsule - imho .

7. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

^ Very good point. I would definitely clone it before modifying any files on it whatsoever. If you dont want the data on your MBP, then clone it to an external USB hard drive...the Time Capsule isn't my favorite storage solution..

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yeah for connecting the Lacie Drive (I have one , it's FW400) you'll need a firewire 400 to 800 adapter, a firewire 400 to 800 cable (like this) or a firewire hard drive that offers both Firewire 400 and firewire 800, then daisy chain the hard drives and your machine.

9. pauld thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to all. This (^) seems like the simplest and cheapest option.

Paul