FireWire in 2009 MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Archduk3, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Archduk3 macrumors member

Hi,

I tried searching around several websites, and this forum to get a definite answer. But it seems there was no clear "no" to the question so I will ask again.

I recently bought a used MBA 2009, the 13", and have managed to upgrade it to working standards. Everything runs really smooth now and I am very satisfied.

This would be a great computer to use on the fly I reckon and I got an idea. I also shoot with digital backs at work and that requires shooting with firewire since we haven't had time to upgrade to newer ones. Hence I would prefer if I could do the work on my MacBook Air rather than having to log around my 17" mbp.

So, is there a way to solve this? Firewire to Mini-displayport? Firewire to USB? I am all ears for solutions.

//C

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No such thing as FW to MDP... so that is out. But there are USB to FW adaptors. I have never used one myself, but according to this they can be problematic. Maybe buy one from someplace you can exchange it and try it out.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There are no such things as USB to FireWire adapters. While a cable for it might exist, it has one use and that's for DV cameras. Nothing short of a full desktop computer can translate between FireWire and USB. They're just too different. As per your question, there is no way to get FireWire on that machine.

4. mattferg macrumors 6502

Errr wut?

He can just buy a box that needs wall power and communicates with the laptop via USB, and has firewire sockets. Doesn't need a desktop for that.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What "box"? A shoebox? My post was more of a general statement about there not being any FireWire-USB converters than anything else. No "box" short of a full computer can do that.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There are, but they may not work well for what the OP needs. If you read the link from my first post you can see users running this device from Pinnacle to bring in video from FW video cameras, but from the posts in that thread it does not seem to work well for much of anything else.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's a converter. Adapters are not converters. Also note the rest of that post you quoted and how it details that one exception and its limitations.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I did read the entire post, which is why I warned the OP to review the link and make sure he could exchange it if it did not work.