Firewire MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daviesified, Jan 12, 2009.

1. daviesified macrumors member

I just bought a new MacBook Pro, and I asked the guy in the store, how best to transfer my files from my old MacBook to the new one, and he said FireWire, and he went and got me one. I bought it without even looking at it, as i presumed it was right.

I've just got home now, and tried to plug it in to my MacBook Pro, just to discover it doesn't fit. I've obviously had to rip the packaging to get the cable out. It is described on the packaging as being a "Thin FireWire Cable, 6-pin to 6-pin". What wire do I need to transfer the files, and am I within my rights to ask for a refund, despite the fact the packaging is ripped?

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

For that use you need a 9 pin (FireWire 800 for the new MBP) to 6 pin (FireWire 400 for your old MB) cable as shown here in the Apple online store.

The guy probably was just not thinking about it when he grabbed that cable- and since you are looking to exchange it towards the correct cable anyway I would not expect any problems. I am assuming because you got the Thin FW cable (which is not available just anywhere) that you got the MBP and cable at an Apple store- and I can almost guarantee you will have no problem if that is the case. They are pretty flexible about stuff like that, particularly when you mention that you took the saleman's word for it regarding what you needed.

EDIT: I might add that those cables are available a lot of places on the net for far lower prices if you have the time to wait- just google "Firewire 800 to Firewire 400 cable" for lots of results.