firewire networking

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by willie45, Feb 1, 2008.

1. willie45 macrumors regular

Hi

can anyone tell me how long it should take to transfer a Gigabyte using the firewire connection between two macs ( MBP and late 2006 imac) please?

Thanks

Willie

2. scr1968 macrumors regular

Should be pretty fast. Faster than you might think. One of the cool things about the Mac line is how easy it is to do just this - links to Macs together via a firewire cable and transfer files.

SCR

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Theoretical max throughput of a FW400 connection is 50MB/s. Realistically, a drive connected via FW400 will get somewhere around 40MB/s.

If you're using FW networking rather than just target disk mode, there's more overhead, so I'm going to randomly guess in the vicinity of 25MB/s, though it could theoretically be faster. Meaning somewhat under a minute, basically--I'm going to guess 40 seconds.

4. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks folks. There is something I'm doing wrong then. Its taking me around 2mins per Gb to do this. I will have a read of my book again and give it another go :)

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Why not just connect them via Ethernet cable and get full 1 Gigabit networking glory?

6. willie45 thread starter macrumors regular

I wanted to have the option to connect one to the internet so that I could access it via the other one if you know what I mean. My connection is through ethernet so I couldn't do it.

I have to say I had no idea that would give me a faster connection though :eek: :)