firewire not talking

dustboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
My firewire is not talking to my ipods all of a sudden..the ipods will connect to my other G3, but my G4 dual-867 mirror-door won't connect to either ipod using two different known good cables.
the ipods will charge, but there's no conversation w/ the mothership.

i've restarted, opt-cmd-p-r, fsck -f, all that good stuff with no result.

???:confused:

dustboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
yep, both ports are the same, and this mac has only usb 1.1, which as you know is slow as molasses.

Lock

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Canada
Same thing here

Hey dustboy and others,

I have a MDD dual 1.25 (fw400, usb 1.1) and I'm having the exact same problem as you. I tried all the standard stuff as well to no avail (I've used the iPod with another firewire mac without any problems and have tried other cords, so I'm sure that it's an issue with the powermac). Also, the apple hardware test gives me a firewire error. I'll try the cuda switch when I get home, but I think that I'm out of luck.

I'd spring for a pci firewire card, but I'm having another issue with the mac: since this firewire problem started it's startup and shutdown times have been significantly longer. Have you noticed something similar dustboy? Anyone have any advice (I've done all of the standard stuff already: pram/nvram reset, all the cocktail scripts, tried rebooting with only the keyboard and mouse plugged in ...)?

edit: I should add that I can't get any firewire device to connect. I'm not sure if the OP's only having trouble with the ipods, so our problems might be different.

Lock

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Canada
Update for those interested

Looks like it was my pci usb card. I removed it and things seem to be operating fine with firewire and with startup and shutdown times.

Best of luck to the OP in solving his problem.

dustboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
I'd spring for a pci firewire card, but I'm having another issue with the mac: since this firewire problem started it's startup and shutdown times have been significantly longer.

edit: I should add that I can't get any firewire device to connect. I'm not sure if the OP's only having trouble with the ipods, so our problems might be different.
nope, mine starts up pretty quick. I did have problems a few years ago when I was using Final Cut, the camera wouldn't connect over firewire, probably related. Never noticed this Cuda switch, I'll see if I can find it.