Firewire on rMB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by borgusio, Jan 21, 2016.

1. borgusio macrumors regular

borgusio

Hello guys,

I am going to purchase a Mac Pro and a rMB, but my camera is a firewire. When I am traveling i need to connect it to the macbook.

I searched a lot for converters (USB-C / Firewire) but could not find anything.

Do you have any ideas how to solve this?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You need a USB to FireWire adaptor and a USB type c to USB cable. Alternatively a card reader.

3. borgusio thread starter macrumors regular

borgusio

The cam has tapes (I have other cams with no tapes) so I need an adapter, correct. I did not find an adapter which is working as Firewire/USB-C.

Do you have one to suggest?

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

There is not a USB-C>Firewire cable available unfortunately. As Gav said, you will need to get a USB-C>USB, then USB>Firewire.

5. borgusio thread starter macrumors regular

borgusio

That is understood - but anyone tried it? I read that once you attach a chain like this to a rMB, the USB will be deactivated due to too high energy consumption. It is just paranoia? You know, I have two firewire devices, including an HDD and I do not want to risk to lose the possibility to connect them

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Whatever you connect via FireWire will need external power

7. gooser macrumors 6502

your best solution may be to buy the one macbook pro that still has firewire. no retina though.

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

- That's silly. The Retina models can easily be used with FireWire via a simple Thunderbolt adaptor.

9. borgusio thread starter macrumors regular

borgusio

for example? Do you know one working with usb c as well?

10. chrfr macrumors 603

For use that's critical, a USB to FireWire adapter is not going to suffice. These adapters are not widely used and are attempting to do things that don't really work.
    The adapters aren't reliable whatsoever. The retina MacBook is the wrong computer for your purposes.
    You should be looking at the MacBook Air or Retina MacBook Pro, both with Apple's thunderbolt to FireWire 800 adapter. Depending on the camera, you may need a FireWire power adapter as well.

11. JTToft macrumors 68040

- He was speaking of MacBook Pros. No USB-C involved there. The Retina models can utliize this adaptor.