firewire on the new mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skaterandyc, Aug 11, 2010.

1. skaterandyc macrumors newbie

i just upgraded to a new mac book pro as some of you saw in a recent post. my external hard drive is connected to a 400 firewire port but the new mbp's have 800 firewire ports. i have an adapter but for some reason the external doesn't show up. it works on my old macbook but not on this new one, doesn't even show up in the disk utilities. Can someone help please? Do the fire wire ports have to match up in speed? Can my backup and the files be saved? Cheers,
    Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It should work fine. Try cycling power on the drive, or rebooting.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Had no problems using my older FW400 devices with my new i5.
    I'm just using a fw400->fw800 cable

4. skaterandyc thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i cycle the power exactly? sorry but i don't know how to do that. i'll try updating all my software then rebooting.

5. skaterandyc thread starter macrumors newbie

so i tried cycling the hard drive, rebooted twice and even updated all the software and it still wont recognize the external. I'm using a firewire 400 to firewire 400 cable with a Sonnet 400 to 800 adapter on the end of one of them to connect them. What the heck is going on around here?

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If the Sonnet 400 to 800 adapter is working perfectly and there's no faults with your cable, then your drive should technically show up on the System Profiler application under the section labelled Firewire (even if it doesn't mount). If this is not happening, then either try attach another device in the socket, alternatively get your Mac checked for a possible faults.