Firewire Optical Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheStu, Jan 11, 2008.

1. TheStu macrumors 65816

Can anyone tell me definitively if a MacBook Pro can boot from a firewire optical drive?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. TheStu thread starter macrumors 65816

So it will, absolutely, one hundred percent, out of the box, boot from either a USB or a Firewire OPTICAL drive? I know that it can boot from a firewire or optical HARD drive, but my friend swears up and down that his macbook pro will not boot off a USB OPTICAL drive.

I am asking and trying to make perfectly sure because this same friend's SuperDrive got killed by the 10.4.10 update and never bothered calling Apple to get it replaced. Now he is out of warranty and staring at a ~$180 fee for a new SuperDrive. However, he found an external, bus-powered, slim, firewire DVD Burner for $90 somewhere. He doesn't want to spend that money only to find out that his system won't boot from it.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I can 100% confirm booting off of an external FireWire hard or optical drive on PowerPC and Intel hardware.

The USB booting is what another system administrator colleague has told me as a boot option under Intel.

5. TheStu thread starter macrumors 65816

OK, the firewire is good enough for me, but I can always give USB booting a whirl since I have an external burner.

Thanks for the reply... so quick too :)