Firewire performance Win7 SP1 experiences

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by drayon, Jan 23, 2011.

1. drayon macrumors 6502

Windows 7 SP1 supposedly has numerous hot fixes, hopefully including something to fix the dismal Firewire write speed of 8MB/s. I'm interested to hear from anyone if the SP1 resolved the issue for them. I reverted the driver back to legacy with no change on an old iMac and a 2008 MBP (FW400 & 800 on respective machines) prior to installing SP1.

Please detail the port tested FW400 or 800 and the write speed average that the file transfer dialog reports in Explorer on a large file say 2GB. Obviously copying a file from your internal drive to an external FW drive.

Initially after SP1 install, I still saw 8MB/s over FW400, then I installed TeraCopy by Code Sector then saw 30-40MB/s. I can't explain the anomaly and I don't have another spare Mac to do more testing.

Any feedback here would be appreciated.

2. drayon thread starter macrumors 6502

Installed Win7 then updated with SP1 on a Mac Pro 2009 Nehalem. Copying 2+GB video files from an internal drive to an external Firewire 800 results in about 40-46MB/sec. Still not the 60MB/sec achieved in Mac OS X.

So it seems this has fixed the Firewire issue in previous versions resulting in 7MB/sec max write speed.