Firewire petition

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by anycrew, Oct 18, 2008.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

this link has been posted here already, several times, but its a busy forum, dont hurt to post it once more, its an important issue

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

well I wouldn't buy a MacBook anyways, so its a non issue for me, (I like the pro when it gets 17") .... but as I support the community and their desires ive signed it :) Good Luck

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I added my signature, though I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears at Apple.

4. MrGando macrumors member

Wow like 9.500 Signatures already.

I don't think apple will listen, but It's worth a try.

5. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I'm actually with Apple on this one. I really don't see why a consumer-level laptop needs a Firewire port, especially since iPods don't use them anymore.

But that's just me...

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

10,000 signatures is not grounds for a major retooling/redesign on a manufacturer's part, from their perspective. 100,000 maybe.

7. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

So, let's spread it then?!

BTW it's 9626, and counting.

8. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Yay, another petition that will go unanswered like the rest of them.

Still yet to receive an answer on my Free playboy channel petition i signe several years back :rolleyes:

9. Avon B7 macrumors newbie

It's over 10,000 now and seems to be growing faster as more sites pick up on it.

I just wanted to comment on something that is turning into a stereotype. The notion of pro machines and non-pro machines.

It's not so easy to separate the two nowadays. You will find many pros with non-pro computers and many non-pros with pro computers. I know a lot of pros with MBPs, Mac Pros etc that also have MacBooks and iMacs.

In the old days (10 years ago) things like audio and video were clearly differentiated because consumer machines just didn't have the hardware necessary for pro activities. That's not the case nowadays.

The Pro and Consumer labels are more convenience labels that indicate suitability, nothing more. Not exclusive labels.

What I want to make clear is that FW has nothing to do with if a machine is classified as pro or not. FW is FW and is there for everybody.

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I'm still waiting to hear from someone what the ultimate point of these petitions is. Do people think Apple is going to redesign the MB this week and release the FW version next week, or even next month?

Maybe they will listen, who knows. But even if they do, it won't be on the shelves for at least 6 months, and probably more like a year. A petition does not change that time frame.

Also, those people screaming for FW on the MB probably have perfectly useable computers with FW already. If they have them already, how many of those people are upset because they need a new computer NOW, and how many are just being noisy for the sake of it?

If Apple made a statement tomorrow saying a FW MB was coming in 6 months, there would be a whole new swell of pissed off people asking for it even sooner.

11. det2004 macrumors 6502

yet another firewire related thread.....:rolleyes:

Oh no, the world's ending, the macbook no longer has firewire. :rolleyes:

12. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

LMAO!!!! :D

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Better than the useless Ethernet port on the MacBooks... :eek:

14. det2004 macrumors 6502

Nah, there's still a few hotels that offer broadband internet, but didn't want to spring for wifi. ;)

15. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Just because you don't use it doesn't mean this isn't important.

I've never used Firewire, but I signed.

16. det2004 macrumors 6502

I've used it, but I don't consider it that important. Many devices can use either firewire or usb. It just irks me that there is thread after thread after thread of people complaining about it. Do we seriously need all of these threads trying to get people to complain to Apple about it? They aren't going to scrap all of the macbooks that they just manufactured and redesign it with firewire for some petition. If it doesn't suit your needs, don't buy it. That's the strongest way people can send their message.

17. Aranince macrumors 65816

Buried for being la....oh wait this isn't Digg...darn it.