Firewire Port Shuts off Macbook Pro 13" ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sweener88, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Sweener88 macrumors 6502

Sweener88

Hi!
    Iv searched google and forums and only found one person with this similair problem. I had an old firewire cable (not sure the size but doesnt fit my mbp) but when i touch it to the port my entire mbp shuts off! any ideas why?! :confused:

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If it doesn't fit, it's probably a FW400 cable.

Stop touching it to your computer, you're probably shorting something out.

What you're doing sounds like when somebody says "when I hit myself on the head it hurts!!" to which many would reply, "stop doing it then":confused::confused:

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

^^^^ Exactly what he said. You're shorting out the power pins and yes, I've done it too.

4. Sweener88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweener88

Hey! thanks for help! i only did it twice and obviously i havnt done it since!:rolleyes: i just wanted to know why and now im affraid to touch it with anything else like usb or audio or anything that may accidently come in contact with it.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It's not that difficult to not touch the FW800 with something that's not a FW800 connector...just look what you're doing!

6. errin macrumors member

I have the same problem after I boughtthis one and plug it in my UMBP it instantly shut my UMBP down, so I bought the new Moshi cable and there is no problem anymore.