FireWire Powered hard drive..

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LeorD, Aug 26, 2008.

1. LeorD macrumors member

I started working on the my new iMac(and first mac) and I've been looking for a firewire powered external hard drive but when i did little research on the web I found some hard ddrives but i dont know if they support time machine and generally mac..
    I need some recommendations about a good firewire 400/800(whats the price differences?) 500GB-1TB but the most important is firewire powered

posted on the wrong forum olz move to the desktop imac forum..

2. mgclayton macrumors member

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

With the rare exception, any external drive will work on a Mac, and be supported by Time Machine. However, in the size you are looking for, I would suspect that in the sizes you are looking for, bus-powered drives may be difficult to find. I would suggest looking at Newegg.com, MacSales.com, or TigerDirect.com and see what sort of solutions they have.

TEG

4. LeorD thread starter macrumors member

Im looking for a 500GB Firewire only no need for usb..

5. cube macrumors G5

6. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I use a Maxtor One Touch Plus 500GB for Time Machine and a 750GB WD MyBook for "offline" storage. The former uses FW400 and the latter FW800.

7. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Typically all Firewire drives will be Firewire/USB drives.

Why would do you want a bus-powered firewire drive? Is portability an issue?

As one person said, it'll probably be hard finding a bus-powered firewire HD in the higher size you're looking for. LaCie has a 500 GB bus-power Firewire HD http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=11085 but LaCie is probably a bit more expensive. You can probably find cheaper.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well as someone else said firewire powered devices will all be 2.5" drives, so that sure does limit your selections. Samsung makes one (5400 rpm like the majority of 2.5" drives, not 7200 like virtually all the commonly available 3.5" drives that would require a power adapter) which OWC sells with a firewire enclosure:

FW 400: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/HM500JIMFWU2/

or the preferred FW 800: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/HM500JIMF8U2/

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Not true. Near enough any drive can that uses FireWire can be bus powered, doesn't matter if it's 2.5" or 3.5"
    what's important is the current (mA) the device might draw from the bus. If you overload the bus, it could result in
    an unstable system, lost lost of data! It's true that most 3.5" drives are powered with their own PSU,
    however depending on the housing some will work via the FW Bus.

10. LeorD thread starter macrumors member

so i guess the two best options would be the LaCie and the DIY KIT right?.. does the my passport of wd is 2.5"?

11. kahine macrumors regular

I like my Lacie firewire drive , have both the powered desktop one and the portable one with the orange rubber around the case - never had problems with it either - quite small and portable and fast as everything

I've got the older one but will upgrading size-wise to the newer large ones around Xmas myself

Just a recommendation for the Lacie as my portable firewire 800 one has worked great as a boot drive also when I've messed around with different OS X installs

Also feels quite durable

12. LeorD thread starter macrumors member

13. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yes, the Passports are 2.5".

14. kahine macrumors regular

15. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

16. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

That's probably because WD doesn't make a 500Gb 2.5" drive. :rolleyes:

17. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Don't roll your eyes at me! :D That's what I was implying. I just can't say I'm 100% positive as websites can be out of date.

18. LeorD thread starter macrumors member

ok but the wd my passport is 2.5" right? my dad have inr and im looking for something at the same size and firewire powered only with 500GB..
    btw is there a big difference between firewire 400 and 800?

19. kahine macrumors regular

Fairly sure 500gb and firewire only powered the Lacie is your only option

20. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Actually the links I posted to the Samsung 500Gb Kits with Enclosures from OWC (way back up in message #8 in this thread) are a very attractive alternative to Lacie- and are available with FW400 OR FW800.

21. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yes Passports are 2.5". Take a look again at my previous post (#8) for links to OWC's 500Gb Samsung firewire powered solutions from probably the best Mac accessory suppliers out there in my opinion.

Keep in mind that of the three models of Passports Western Digital offers (Elite, Essential andd Studio) only the Studio has Firewire- and it is only available up to 320Gb.

As far as FW400 vs FW800 yes there is a huge difference. FW 400 has a maximum transfer rate of 400Mbits/s while FW800 has a max transfer rate of 800Mbits/s. In the real world too (not just the specifications world) the speed difference is substantial.