Firewire Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acedrums, Jul 18, 2009.

1. acedrums macrumors member

Ok, so I got a mac and never new what firewire was. But now I do, and this mac doesn't have firewire. Is there a way I can purchase or have it so I can add firewire to the computer?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'm guessing you got a Unibody Macbook ...

No, you cannot add Firewire to it.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No. Firewire is a separate bus, which cannot be connected via an adapter to USB or the Gigabit Ethernet port.

The is always the new MacBook Pro 13-inch model for that.

You just have bought the "collector's edition" model, as it is known now jokingly.

4. acedrums thread starter macrumors member

5. cube macrumors G5

Now you understand the corresponding MacRumors thread with 3000+ posts, 250,000+ views.

6. acedrums thread starter macrumors member

i wanted firewire for recording. Do you think its worth returning this laptop to get one with firwire?

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you need FW, then yes. You aren't going to get FW any other way.

8. acedrums thread starter macrumors member

Well, its not a need. All my stuff is USB, but i was thinkin of getting it for music recording. So far, from what I have heard, the difference between them is speed.

9. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Just because something has more "speed" doesn't mean it is faster. While a FW connection is faster than USB, if the limiting factor is the drive, then it really won't be faster. You should see if using USB provides the level of performance that you require and then make a judgment call if you need firewire.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

USB's speed is burst, and is not good for sustained transfers, as with video or audio capture.

11. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

That is why I told him to try it and then make a judgement call. Without knowing what he is actually doing, one cannot say that USB wouldn't work for him. If it is streaming then no, if it is just moving finished work, then it would work.

12. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

If you have the option to return the machine for a model with Firewire I recommend it. Even for just moving large files (I doubt that's all you'd be doing if you are using the Mac for music recording) Firewire is notably faster.

13. cube macrumors G5

For audio, the deciding factor is not FireWire's "speed", but its isochronous I/O ability.

14. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE: Firewire question

"i wanted firewire for recording. Do you think its worth returning this laptop to get one with firwire"

You want to attach an audio interface, is that correct?

There _are_ some (not many, but some) audio interfaces out there that work fairly well with USB2.

One that comes to mind is the M-Audio "Fast Track Ultra". It offers 4 mic inputs, and various other inputs. You can google it to find out more, and there are a couple of decent videos out there demonstrating its connection and usage. I don't have one myself, but it looks to be very nice for the money.

DO NOT consider buying a USB 1.1 interface. These are too slow to handle more than a couple of inputs at once during recording.

If you need a LOT of inputs - say 8 at once or more - firewire is the way to go.

- John

15. acedrums thread starter macrumors member

well, I was considering investing in a imac, that way i can use the laptop for more graphic/personal use. Would that be a smarter idea? Taking the fact that if i start recording (since I am a drummer), I wouldn't be moving my set up much if not at all. I mean, come on, I am not moving my drums every time to record them.

16. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE: Firewire Question

RE:
    "well, I was considering investing in a imac, that way i can use the laptop for more graphic/personal use. Would that be a smarter idea?"

For recording music with DAW software, a 24" iMac would probably serve you better than a laptop with a small display.

It's hard to beat that large screen when scanning and scrolling through a "timeline" in which horizontal movement is most important.

If I'm not mistaken, an iMac also offers you _two_ Firewire ports (1 800, 1 400). You can plug the audio interface into one port, and an external drive (for recording tracks, backups, archiving, 2nd boot drive) into the second one.

And even an iMac isn't _that_ hard to move around if you need to do so.

- John

17. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The new iMacs only offer one FW800 port, since they were updated in February.
    The FW400 port is gone from Apple's entire current line as it seems.