Firewire splitter?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Soura2112, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

I need more firewire ports. Right now all mine are taken up by external Hard Drives and I need room for my video camera. Also the Firewire port on my G5 does not work, very strange. I need to take it in, but who knows how much it will be, plus I need my 2nd internal hard drive wires fixed. So it will cost a lot I am guessing. I can do without the internal drive for a bit, but I need more firewire. Because I do video editing I always use firewire. Though I could most likely use my Time Machine/ Backup drive with USB I prefer Firewire.
    I see lots of USB splitters but no Firewire ones, am I looking in the wrong stores and other websites? Or do they just not exist, conclusion I have come to, but given the technology today it sounds crazy to me at least.
    Thanks!

2. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Lots of firewire devices have two firewire ports (especially hard drives) which allow "Daisy Chaining" in which you plug one firewire device into another. Works well.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

EDIT: Whoops beat by hughvane and two minutes of clock time! :eek:

Belkin makes one that I have had for at least 2 or three years that works fine- although it is FireWire 400 only. You can check it out here, but I agree that daisy chaining peripherals that have two FireWire ports works fine too.