Firewire SSD for photoshop

Discussion in 'iMac' started by caughtintheweb, Jun 15, 2011.

1. caughtintheweb macrumors regular

Hi All,

Apologies if this question might be raised in many forums. I use my iMac mainly for editing pictures using photoshop. While my current 2,93 Ghz i7 is extremely fast with all the touch ups, some large pics take a few secs to a min to edit. I was wondering if buying a SSD and connecting using firewire port would reduce the speed drastically. If so what size would be sufficient ? I rarely boot my computer and I dont really care about boot time. I just need some applications like photoshop and garageband to run faster.

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I'm pretty sure CS5 is 64-bit.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

4. caughtintheweb thread starter macrumors regular

That's a great post. Thanks a lot.

Some of them range from 500 MB - 750 MB. This is when I scan negatives at high dpi.

5. Bear macrumors G3

You don't say what type of edits, but some do take a bit of time to process.

Although you didn't say how much RAM you system has. if you're editing images that large you need at least 8GB on your system and possibly more.

6. caughtintheweb thread starter macrumors regular

I have 12 GB of RAM. Those edits are not painfully slow. In involves unsharp masks, constrast adjustments. Slowest would be when I superimpose two layers and do a dual layer adjustment.

Its much better than my 2.4 Ghz quad core PC at work which just hangs the whole system. I just don't understand that. Its supposed to have 4 processors running at a descent clock speed. It has 8 GB RAM. When I make heavy edits even with 200mb files, my system is not usable for 2-3 mins.

7. caughtintheweb thread starter macrumors regular

Whats the verdict ? I am still confused whether I need a SSD.

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

I thought we already agreed it will do nothing?

It would be counter productive to attach a SSD -- with file transfer read/write rates of up to 600 GB/ps -- to a FW800 port which only has a 80 MB/ps connection. Like 100X slower.

Perhaps you should consider whether or not you really need to keep scanned negs at that high of a DPI? maybe scan high for initial detail but then knock down to a more realistic/managable number?

Where do these scans go? Prints? advertising? magazine ads?

9. mac.tastic macrumors member

All computers benefit from an SSD as a boot drive.

10. leman macrumors 604

Lol, where did you find an SSD like that? 600GB/s :D

Fastest SSDs have read/write speeds of around 400Mb/s, and thats under most favorable conditions (sequential access, very large files).

Anyway, the whole point of an SSD is not the high read/write speed, but the low random access latency.