FireWire still alive and well according to ...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by FastEddy, Oct 17, 2008.

1. FastEddy macrumors regular

FastEddy

There is a lengthy discussion at the Apple FireWire List(s) blogs, a developers' regular discussion group:

" Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your notes in support of FireWire. Our team is still hard at work making FireWire be as great as it can be. Your input and support as developers and customers is always welcome.

What do the new product announcements this week mean? The "glass half empty" conclusion is that some customers will buy a Mac without FireWire. For us FireWire enthusiasts, that might be uncomfortable, but we already knew it was true: We already sell MacBook Air without FireWire. Each customer has their own unique needs (and don't-needs) in a Mac.

On the other hand, the "glass half full" conclusion is that most customers choose a Mac with FireWire. In 2008 Apple will sell more Macs with FireWire than we did in 2007 or any previous year, even though some customers choose the MacBook Air or the new carved-Aluminum MacBook. That's a simple fact based on publicly announced data from Apple. From a developer point of view, it's hard to view that growing FireWire customer base as a bad thing.

Will that FireWire growth continue in 2009 as well? Obviously I don't know, as it depends on many factors. But our developers have some power to influence this. If you produce products with FireWire that our customers want to use, that will surely affect their purchase decisions, which in turn will affect Apple. We're still here to help you do that.

Eric A." (an Apple employee and FireWire "evangelist".)

===== Other comments, in no particular order: =======

" Hi people;

The Fact that no one from Apple will comment on this (likely they've been laid off or transferred to the iPhone/iTouchMySelf department) on their own Apple hosted list speaks volumes to Apples "commitment" to developers and customers.

At least they aren't censoring people on the Customer lists (just ignoring us here), where I've read that all complaints by customers on the Apple "Open Forums" (there's an oxymoron for you) concerning lack of FireWire are being deleted by Apple moderators. http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20081014223302211

Just like SIMD..

Milton A. "

=====

I have read some discussions in serious Mac webzines and 80% of Mac users are disappointed that FireWire is not in the new product line, many of them mention Target Disk Mode as the important missing thing. So I am sure the marketing impact of this step will be huge, but I am not sure whether there is someone from Apple listening.

If it is just a way of distinguishing the Pro and non-Pro models, it is like making a low cost car from the expensive one keeping the 12 cylinder 5 liter engine, but delivering with three wheels :)

Welcome to the club.

I keep a few SE/30s around to access my oscilloscopes and voltmeters with an RS-232 serial port. RS-232 does not go away just because Steve says so or because Apple made a deal with Intel who owns USB.

And. I'm limited to OS 10.3.9 to continue mounting the SE/30 with AppleTalk over Ethernet.

There are Ethernet adapters to four RS232 lines for a bunch of bucks. Perhaps there will be Firewire adapters that will do the same thing - but slower. --

--> A fair tax is one that you pay but I don't <-- "

=====

" Hi,

The reason of posting my note was a bit different: I am absolutely sure that Apple employees participating in the FireWire development and reading this thread are aware of FireWire advantages more than anyone else, so they are the first who would like to see FW in all Apple products.

Unfortunately, from my European point of view, big US companies where shareholders attempt to get as much money from the share as possible, the only criteria of success are decreasing cost and increasing sales, so the better technology is foolishly killed, if someone could save a cent. I thought that Apple is an exception, but it seems it is not anymore in the HW development.

I feel we are all in the same boat, including Apple FW engineers. Although they can't comment, they should know that we all (developers) need FW presence even in LC machines.

Lubor "

=====

" The biggest concern I have is the naive consumer who sees iLife and iMovie on the MacBook. The consumer buys the MacBook for doing movies, gets home and then finds out that the firewire video camera will not talk to the MacBook. At this point there's going to be one irate customer.

Phil "

=====

" Hi! You guys have done a great job with firewire. For the past two years, I've existed on s400 firewire external drives and had hoped to take my capabilities up to s800. So, it's disheartening to hear about the discontinuation of firewire. I never did find a compatible s800 port device, oddly, in my experiences, only 1394 or USB were available. The USB2 has caused me much confusion, as I've found the cable terminology lacking in a physical standard. Not all things called USB2 look the same, nor do s800. Just recently, I found a s800 that looked like a 1394, and a USB2 that was like any other USB generic drive, there's a third USB type, that at this moment, I don't even want to go there. I've been very happy with my s400 firewire devices. Thank you! LaimaM "

=====

As you can see, there was a bit of concern that since the latest round of Apple consumer laptops did not have the FireWire ports we all know and love ... :apple:

2. FastEddy thread starter macrumors regular

FastEddy

3. FastEddy thread starter macrumors regular

FastEddy

Apple customers outraged at missing FireWire port in new MacBooks

"Apple customers outraged at missing FireWire port in new MacBooks" - SOURCE - itBuisness Canada

" Apple Inc. customers are unhappy that the company dropped FireWire from its newest notebooks and are venting their frustrations on the company's support forum in several hundred messages.

Within minutes of Apple CEO Steve Jobs wrapping up a launch event in Cupertino, Calif., users started several threads on the company's support forum blasting the omission of a FireWire port on the new MacBook laptop. ... "

... which is exactly what Apple needs to hear = plenty of customer demands for these ports.