Firewire Target Disk Killed My PowerBook!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by coupdetat, Jul 11, 2008.

1. coupdetat macrumors 6502

Yikes, it's been a bad night. I was setting up my Snow iMac and I was going to boot it off a CD in my Powerbook's drive using Firewire Target Disk. I didn't hit Option in time, so the iMac for some reason started automatically to boot off the PowerBook's Leopard installation. Needless to say, it failed. Just hung on the grey screen. "Okay, restart and hit Option" I thought. I did that, chose the Powerbook's CD drive as the startup disk, and everything installed smoothly.

THEN I tried to start the Powerbook back up and it won't boot anymore!! It just hangs on the grey screen. The G3 must have written something to the PB while it was trying to boot Leopard and corrupted the installation. I don't know what to do now, other than archiving everything and reinstalling.

Has this happened to anyone else before? I had no idea a G3 could actually wreck a Leopard installation like this... I'm rather surprised Apple let such a bad bug slip through. Anyways, would an "Archive and Install" theoretically work? Or should I back everything up and completely start over?

2. coupdetat thread starter macrumors 6502

Never mind. Booted the Leopard install disc, then the regular startup disk. It worked again. Very weird.... made a mental note in the future to be VERY careful about booting the wrong startup drives.

3. chscag macrumors 65816

Glad you resolved it. But it always amazes me how quick folks are to blame user error on Apple and say it was a bug. Don't worry, I'm not needling you because I've been there and done that myself. :p

Regards.

4. coupdetat thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I AM blaming Apple because it IS a bug. I tried to use it as a target disk again, this time without booting to it. Same result. I don't know why my Powerbook dislikes target disk so much, it never used to do this under Panther.