Firewire Target Disk "Screensaver"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by WWJBD, Jul 7, 2011.

1. WWJBD macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2009

Hey guys. So I just got a new 27" iMac to replace an old one, and I'm obviously doing a lot of iMac-to-iMac file transfers and imports, so they spend a lot of time connected via Firewire. This includes overnight. So the fact that the Firewire "Screensaver" on the old mac stays on at all times gets really annoying really fast.

I was wondering if anybody knew of any way to disable the Firewire screen, while maintaining the connection. Not sure if it's possible, but what better place to ask?

Thanks a lot.
  2. Intell macrumors P6

Jan 24, 2010
    There is no way to disable, change, or in any way alter that Target Disk Mode screen saver.
  3. basher macrumors 6502

May 27, 2011
    Glendale, AZ USA
    Have you tried turing the brightness all the way down on the iMac that's in Target Mode?
  4. WWJBD thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2009
    I have. It dims the screen roughly 25% or so, but unfortunately it's still very bright and invasive.
  5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2009
    It wouldn't be as fast but you could do the same thing with File Sharing over Ethernet or WiFi.
  6. JamesM macrumors regular

Jan 27, 2007
    I found the opposite, I copied a load of files off my MBP to the iMac last night using a direct gigabit connection and it did it in 30 minutes. After as a test I tried it in target disk mode across FireWire 800 and it said it would take an hour which I was surprised about.

Even with the TCP/IP overheads gigabit seems faster than FireWire 800, at least from one machine to the other using a direct connection. Across the LAN would obviously yield slower results if there were other machines using the network.
  7. WWJBD thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2009
    Thanks guys. If there's no way to get rid of the Target Disk screen, file sharing sounds like the next best option. Hopefully the speed is comparable.
  8. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    FW800 offers 65 to 75 MB/s, Gigabit Ethernet (on all Intel Macs) can go to 100 and more MB/s, depending on the HDDs' maximum speeds.
    Just get a CAT5e or CAT6e cable and connect the two Macs and enable file sharing.