firewire temps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Budd Junglebean, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Budd Junglebean macrumors newbie

I have the early 2011 MBP 15".
    Right now I have the Steinberg MR816 firewire interface connected. And my fans are running at 3500rpm (I have Spotify and Safari open).
    If I'm mixing music on Reaper and have 20 tracks or so the fans will hit 5500rpm (Reaper's performance meter says it uses 10% CPU). I don't have the same problem with USB interface..

So is there a fix like Coolbook for early 2011 model that would fix Firewire causing extra rise in temp...

2. simsaladimbamba

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

3. Budd Junglebean thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Budd Junglebean thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone?
    Why does firewire make the fans work harder? I do understand if I use Lightroom and the fans goes up (the activity monitor says LR uses 79% CPU). But if I have Firewire and there's no sings of heavy CPU usage but the fans go faster.

5. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

do you have any other macs available that you could test that software + the Steinberg interface on? In case no one has a good explanation you may need to do some testing on your own. Also, you could find an audio forum where someone else may have the same FireWire interface to seek advice from.

I haven't ever noticed any similar behavior from my FireWire hard drives and I use an mbox USB version, so I can't try to replicate.

also, it would be more helpful to post a screenshot of activity monitor while you have a project open in reaper.

6. Budd Junglebean thread starter macrumors newbie

I could do that (my friend has this same MBP and I can also post Activity monitor shots while I'm running Reaper).. but I dont need to be runninging Reaper and my fans go to 3500rpm. I can see same kinda behavior on my RME Babyface USB interface. But it's not that bad at all.