Firewire To Firewire? Software Transfer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacMqS, Feb 12, 2011.

1. MacMqS macrumors newbie

Can I hook up my New iMac to my Macbook Via Firewire and take some software from that and put it onto the imac? But still keep the software onto the macbook? Thanks,
    Adam:)

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Should be able to do that pretty easily. It typically works like a transfer from an external hard drive. However, if it's software that requires a product key, you'll need another to be able to use it on the iMac. You could also use an ethernet cable and do file transfers that way if you don't have a FW cable lying around.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

To make it more clear, you'll use what's called Target Disk Mode. Connect the two computers via FireWire, and restart one of them (the one you're transferring from would make more sense in this case) while holding down the T key on the keyboard. It will start up with a FireWire logo bouncing around on the screen, and should then also appear on the desktop of the other Mac. Actually, if you do this before you've set up the new Mac, you can use Migration Assistant right at the beginning to transfer settings and user files as well, if you want, or if you don't want that, you can still use it to transfer the applications. If you want to do it manually, that will depend on the software, as some applications make it difficult to drag-and-drop from one computer to another via license files or other hidden support files.

jW

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Can I hook up my New iMac to my Macbook Via Firewire and take some software from that and put it onto the imac? But still keep the software onto the macbook?"

Yes. Try it this way:

- Have the two Macs side-by-side, and have your firewire connecting cable ready.
    - Power-down both Macs (turn them both all the way off)
    - Connect the firewire cable between them
    - Power-on the MacBook. As soon as you hear the startup sound, hold down the "T" key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN
    - You should see the firewire "icon" appear on the screen of the MacBook. When you see it, that computer is booted into "Firewire target disk mode"
    - Now, boot up the iMac normally.
    - When you get to the iMac desktop, you should see icons for both the iMac's internal drive AND the drive of the MacBook.
    - You can now copy whatever you wish from the MacBook drive.
    - When done, power-down both computers, unplug the cable. The MacBook should boot normally next time you boot up.