firewire to hdmi

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dave12345, Jan 27, 2009.

1. dave12345 macrumors regular

Hey - does anyone know if there is a product for mac that goes from firewire to hdmi including the audio ? I'm looking at getting a Canopus ADVC110 but would be good if there's a hdmi version as i'm not sure how good quality the svideo output is...

Cheers

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I have no knowledge of an adaptor. And there probably isn't one, because HDMI and FireWire are very different standards. HDMI transfers signals at 5 GBs/sec, whereas FireWire can only manage 800MB/sec currently. The other issue is that FW only uses 4 contacts for data, whereas HDMI utilizes 19 contacts. In addition, HDMI has the whole DRM issue, which FireWire couldn't handle. Basically FireWire and HDMI are two totally different animals.

It would be extremely cost prohibitive to manufacture such an adaptor. And I doubt one is made.

Sorry that I can't help more!

Don

3. dave12345 thread starter macrumors regular

oh - thanks for the detailed reply - aren't there some :mad:windows:rolleyes: laptops out now with HDMI output ?

Cheers

4. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

Yes there is, Sony, Dell, etc. all have HDMI outputs.

5. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Yes, there are a few computers that have HDMI outputs. But that has nothing to do with FireWire. You asked about an FireWire->HDMI adaptor/converter. The laptops that have HDMI outputs have those outputs on their graphics card, not on the FireWire bus. Get your facts straight:rolleyes:

Don

6. beatboy macrumors newbie

FW to hdmi

Yeah there is but it's way expensive. Not sure why somebody does not make one cheaper. Check this bad boy out http://www.v4hd.com/ .

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

[Edit: Whoops, didn't realize that most of this thread was several months old before posting; I'll go ahead and leave my reply anyway.]

To back up a step here, what do you actually want this for? Input or output?

Given your machine, you have both DVI out and optical audio out; if the desired device has both HDMI and toslink inputs (which nearly anything I can think of with HDMI does), the only disadvantage of DVI->HDMI + optical audio is having two cables.

That's how I run my home theater setup off a mini, and it works great.

If you're talking about input (which is what that canopus unit is mainly for), there are no laptops from any maker I'm aware of that have HDMI *input*--even if they did, the copy protection built into the HDMI bus would make recording most things impossible.

HDMI capture hardware does exist, but it's mostly very, very high-end stuff, and will of course still only work with unprotected video sources (like a camera). Your best bet for non-pro high-def video would be a capture box with component video input capable of doing 720p. If the source material is just analog (say, VHS or Hi-8), then S-Video is probably good enough for almost any use.

8. einsiol macrumors newbie

What about Ethernet then? It can transfer up to 10 GBs/sec