Firewire to USB-A Adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alembic, Aug 20, 2017.

1. alembic macrumors regular

I have this 2011 MBP: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html#macspecs2

The two USB ports have failed. Seems to be a board problem with the USB controller. Was quoted $350 to repair. I don't want to spend that much for a spare machine. It would be nice, however, to be able to connect a mouse, thumb drive, etc.

This model does have a Firewire 800 port. Is there such a thing as a Firewire male to USB-A female adapter? or are the two protocols too different electronically to produce something functional and cheap?

2. Fishrrman, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017

Fishrrman macrumors G4

3. alembic thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Fishrrmn. It does have Thunderbolt. The device looks promising. Now, what's a quick way to check to see if my Thunderbolt port is working or not? I've usually used it with a Thunderbolt/DVI adapter to connect to a monitor but the discrete graphics chip has failed and I've disabled it.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"Now, what's a quick way to check to see if my Thunderbolt port is working or not?"

I'd try opening "System Information", then click "Thunderbolt", and see what it says.

Do you get anything "on the upper right" when you click it?