Firewire to USB cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DeuceDeuce, Jan 16, 2009.

1. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Does anyone now where I can get a Firewire cable to USB cable or some sort of adapter that will work for a small external hardrive that is powered by the firewire cable?

2. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

There's no such thing as a firewire->USB cable. Your external hard drive will either have a jack for a power cord that the manufacturer sells for it, or you will need to power it via firewire or USB (you didn't say which). Those are your options. As a side note, there are some USB "Y" cables that can draw power from two USB ports out to one USB port.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There are FireWire to USB adapters.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Please point to one currently available that has Mac drivers.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

What really sucks is that a new USB case for the hard drive will likely cost less than the adapter.

aka, $10 case or $99 adapter.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's just a little adapter plug, why would it need drivers? I got mine in a set of a bunch of USB adapters for $10.

7. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

This is news to me...I've never seen one before, or even heard the possibility mentioned (only the lack thereof)...just googled and came up with this:

http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-527950.html

And some other similar ones, but everything seems to say that they're windows-only. I was given to understand that the differences in architecture between buses precluded the possibility, but I guess not. Still, he's out of luck here if he wants to use it with his Mac. Unless yours works, Skil. Does it?

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Wow, that thing is really huge and annoying looking.

Personally, I don't have any FireWire peripherals to plug in to test it out... :eek:

Here's a picture of it, though. The wording is "USB AM-" and below that "IEEE 1394 4P".

9. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Only camcorders - and not hard drives, especially ones that draw power - tend to use 4-pin ports, so I think the OP may be out of luck there either way.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yep. I agree with Sun Baked's idea to just get a new enclosure.

11. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

There may be adapters that pass through power, but there's no such thing as a simple USB<->FireWire cable that allows data transfer. The adapter in the link provided TheStrudel (assuming it works) must have some circuitry to be able to transfer data from one connection type to the other.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That and it seems like the price went up, the $119 price for the above linked out-of-stock item is way more than a cheap ass USB case.

Especially for something that won't work on the Mac.