Firmeware Lock location in Mountain Lion OS?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tgpctech, Jun 13, 2013.

1. tgpctech macrumors newbie

Hey Everybody,
    I have a customer who is having issues with the EFI firmware lock on his 2012 13" Macbook Pro Air. The other tech's and I have been looking for ways to do this, and as is mentioned frequently it isn't easy.

MAIN QUESTION: What are the file paths/locations for all data pertaining to the EFI Atmel chip firmware lock and password? Is that password stored in a text file/encrypted file anywhere withing the OS (I'm assuming it has to in order for the OS to function with the Atmel chip on the MOBO since it is not a writable location, I could be completely wrong?

I had an idea on how to possibly bypass the issue by simply removing the ssd, open it on another workstation as a slave drive, and finding the file with the firmware lock password either in hash form or not. We work mainly with PC software, most of our Apple experience is hardware and basic troubleshooting so none of us our very sure on where to look for this in the OS. Does this sound like a plausible idea, it would work with Windows OS but I'm not sure if apple uses an encryption or something to prevent this technique. Using a Macbook Pro I did locate the boot.efi file and am working on opening it to view the text, but I'm not sure if this is even what I'm, looking for.

Easy answer is just send it to apple, but several other local service shops do offer this so there is a solution and we cannot afford not to find it. I've found a few blogs talking about the "tool", a hardware used to hard reset the efi chip and disable the firmware lock, but no one offers information on where to buy this "tool". I know 2012 and newer macbooks have new measures to prevent hardware bypass, leaving only the hardware tool or software crack/hack. Again I'm not very familiar with Mac OS so any advice is very much appreciated and welcome.

2. Bear macrumors G3

The firmware password is in the hardware and not stored on disk anywhere. If it was on disk, t would be too easy to bypass. I believe Apple Authorized Service Providers should have been given the firmware reset procedure by Apple.

From what I understand the procedure involves giving some information about the computer to a group in Apple and they return an unlock code for that system.

3. tgpctech thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what I figured, but was hoping otherwise. Thank you for the reply Bear