Firmware 1.2 will have a Scientific Calculator

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TEG, Mar 18, 2008.

1. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

i knew they had beefed up the calc.. but i didn't know it was available in landscape...

and isn't it going to be 2.0?

3. TEG thread starter macrumors 604

TEG

No, they are calling it 1.2 on the firmware builds. 2.0 will be reserved for the iPhone 2. Or if they do it like the iPod, they will allways start with 1.0 on each new model.

TEG

4. aerospace macrumors 6502a

no graphing capability?

...what better way to add huge functionality for high school/college students?

5. Cyclotrode macrumors regular

Cyclotrode

From Apple's Press Release:

While they are using firmware 1.2 to test the SDK and App Store for now, come June it will be 2.0 for everybody.

Back on the thread topic though, at first I was kind of leary at the thought of the calculator UI changing, but seeing it in landscape mode is pretty cool.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Indeed. With so many students using their phones as four-function calculators, a lot of teachers won't have to pull their hair out anymore.

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

A future app will do much much more

Come the SDK, I don't see any reason why the iPhone couldn't simulate versions of calculators, or be one hell of a graphics calculator. Bring on the apps!

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I remember teachers not letting us use calculator watches (remember those?) in elementary school and then GIVING us graphing calculators in high school. I also remember how much easier a college statistics course was with a TI-85. Ah, those were the days (of doing stuff and not getting paid for it).

9. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

they are only calling it 1.2 because it is a beta of 2.0. it will be called 2.0 when they release it in june. and if you guys notice, the home screen has the ability to delete applications. one of the photos showed the youtube icon gone, but one photo didnt

10. cupofjoe macrumors regular

No, you can't delete apps. I believe the guys on the ipone dev team said that the way they "pwn" the phones, the icons disappearing happens or something. I'm pretty sure that's how the guys at engadget got it to work... but I may be wrong.

and to TEG, 1.2 is 2.0, it will not be "reserved" for the iphone revision.

11. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

i will be the coolest kid in math next year....:D

in the photo without the youtube icon, he is demonstrating the parental controls.

Attached Files:

12. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

ahh, good catch

13. cupofjoe macrumors regular

AHHH!!! You are correct! Thanks. :p

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

I can't imagine any teacher that will allow students to use a graphing calculator program on a phone... That's just asking for cheating, especially on a test. The refreshed app does look nice, though.

15. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Did anyone realize the ability to delete in bunches? I think that's going to be more useful than the calculator considering its all people on here piss and moan about... no?

Great find though, awesome insight...